Friday, May 10, 2013

Lean In-"Women are Not Making It to the Top of Any Profession Anywhere in the World"

I realize in my haste to characterize "Lean In" as a leadership book I really short-changed her key messages for women.  Before I move on to the leadership issues that I think apply to everyone I want to be clear about those.  As I said in yesterday's blog the core theme is about achieving gender equality.  You can review a 15' video of Sheryl Sandberg speaking to those key messages at this link:

Youtube video of Sheryl Sandberg explaining her key messages for women.

It's worth a review to hear her views in her voice.  Her key issue is keeping women in the workforce and preventing them from dropping out.  The sub-themes in the video are:

1.  Sit at the table(women consistently under-estimate their abilities)
2.  Make your partner a real partner
3.  Don't leave before you leave.  Keep your foot on the gas pedal until the last minute.

I really encourage you to watch the video and read the book even if ....no..   especially if... you think you will disagree with her views.

If you are a member of my global audience and think this doesn't apply to you or your country I'm betting one of her opening quotes will get your attention.

"Women are not making it to the top of any profession anywhere in the world".

No comments:

Post a Comment