In my last blog I mentioned that taking personal accountability for team failures and giving credit to those who did the work when the team succeeds are important trust building activities. In intend to build on the subject of trust in the next few blogs. Here's the list I'll build on in this series:
- Do what you say- Under promise and over deliver
- Take one for the team when everyone knows you don't have to
- Don't lie even when you have confidential information you cannot share.
- Be willing to engage in difficult conversations.
- Lead by example. Don't ask anyone to do anything you aren't willing to do yourself
- Be the voice of the person on the ground on messages up the chain. Your staff want to know senior leaders understand "how hard it is down here"
- Be clear when implementation is required and you don't agree...and do so without blaming the "guys up there".
- Be really good at what you do. People follow those who they believe know what they are doing.
- People give trust when they get it. Be a good delegator.
I'll expand on these themes over the next few days.